Category Archives: Colours

All I Want for Christmas..

is to finish this quilt… and I did it!

I made hundreds of triangles from my orange scrap basket while a snow bird last winter. (I have no idea where the yellow ones are now!!)

triangles

Well, I used a fair number of them up making this quilt. I made it as part of the Quilts at the Creek 2017 challenge: a red and white quilt to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday. Funny how you barely notice the orange!

done

I love the way I worked the corners, but I can tell you there were many times I had to remove blocks to get it right. I used the Marti Michell templates C19 & C 20 for the tricky(54-40 or fight blocks), and especially love how the  red “circles” really pop. Of course I still need to think about what I want on the back, and what kind of quilting it needs, but right now I just want to stare at it- SO pleased with it!

If you want to see it live and in person (and finished!) you will have to visit Quilts at the Creek 2017.

Work in Progress

This should rightly be called WORKS in progress, as their number continues to grow. After spending much of my time recently involved with Quilts at the Creek, I needed some quiet sewing time.

I have been looking at this quilt on Pinterest for a while, which is similar in design to another Amish quilt from Lancaster County c.1930 that I love, so I bought some pink and red solid fabrics, and have now finished the inner portion of the quilt. amish

A bit of a problem is that it is 38 1/4″ square, which is definitely an odd size, and makes adding the next round of square-in-a-square blocks difficult. I’ll need to add a narrow border on both sides of that block to make things fit, and keep it balanced. The second problem is that the half and quarter square triangle blocks are on the bias, but I think a good dose of Best Press and very careful sewing of the next round will fix that.

I next need to decide what colours to use in the next few rounds, although it might be hard to beat those in the original. Stay tuned!


 

Play Day

I really appreciate those days when I put aside everything that I need to do, and just play. I pinned a block on Pinterest called Ellen’s Snowball  last year, and a year later I still love it, so I decided to make one, in shades of blue. It is paper pieced, which I have not done for a while, and makes a 12 1/2″ block. It went together easily, and the very centre is not too bumpy, considering how many pieces meet here.
block

I now think I will make a medallion quilt, with this block as the centrepiece. I have accumulated quite a bit of blue / white fabrics, so I won’t need to visit any shops real time or online for more. (I think….). It may be a while before I get back to this, meanwhile it will hang on my design wall tempting me, and reminding me to research medallion quilts to see if there are any fun, interesting, new rounds that others have used in their quilts.

On the Wall in June

This is what it looked like 2 weeks ago.. wall

And here it is as of today.. about 1/4 of the way through.

circles2

I like the look of circles that is created. The orange triangles are pieced from my orange stash binge. I have way too many of these, this quilt won’t make much of a dent. Each block is 3.5″, so each large circle is about 21″. I need to think about:

  • how big I want this quilt to be
  • what I want in the centre of the orange triangles. I am thinking of the QSTs with blue and orange as holding that spot for something really spectacular
  • border or no border? I don’t usually put them on my quilts, but this one might look even better with a border

Thank goodness for Marti Michell templates for creating the trickier blocks! Stay tuned for progress on this quilt!

Painting my Quilt

I made a plus quilt recently… I decided to make it one large plus from various yellow and blue fabrics, with white and beige for the background. I liked the idea of the large plus not being immediately obvious. BUT.. when it was done, I was not at all happy with it. It really needed more definition between the Plus sections and the Background sections.

So I took out my paints, diluted them down, and painted the lighter sections.. here is a section as I was starting the paint job.. replacing the white background with a light yellow paint. (Sadly, no “before” photo of the entire quilt.)

IMG_2936

 

Below, you can see the completed yellow section.. much better! Next up, I starting work on the blue sections that needed more definition. Again, the fabrics were blue patterns on white, so I was changing the background to a pale blue. To speed up the drying  so I could get it done quickly, I put it in the dryer for a few minutes between sections.

IMG_2937

And here is is, all done. I am much happier with this quilt top now, and am eager to get to the next steps. You know, deciding what fabrics/design to put on the back of the quilt, how to quilt it, etc etc etc..

IMG_2939

Details, details:
The quilt size is 52 x 52″ , and these are the paints I used. Notice they can be made permanent by heat setting 5 minutes with an iron.
IMG_2940