I’ve been working on some more subdued quilts lately, and craved some COLOUR! The York Heritage Quilters Guild is having its UFO challenge, and I am using all the extra blocks I had cut out for the Border Creek Station challenge run two years ago at Quilts at the Creek. Here is the quilt I made then…
Here are the blocks paired up and ready to make HSTs.. I thought I had a lot more blocks than I was able to find, so I will have to do more digging in my stash to make it the size I want! Most of the fabrics are from Kaffe Fassett- I can never get enough of his luscious colours.
and some of the blocks I have pieced together:
Needs to be done for our May meeting, so add it to the list of things to work on NOW!
This should rightly be called WORKS in progress, as their number continues to grow. After spending much of my time recently involved with Quilts at the Creek, I needed some quiet sewing time.
I have been looking at this quilt on Pinterest for a while, which is similar in design to another Amish quilt from Lancaster County c.1930 that I love, so I bought some pink and red solid fabrics, and have now finished the inner portion of the quilt.
A bit of a problem is that it is 38 1/4″ square, which is definitely an odd size, and makes adding the next round of square-in-a-square blocks difficult. I’ll need to add a narrow border on both sides of that block to make things fit, and keep it balanced. The second problem is that the half and quarter square triangle blocks are on the bias, but I think a good dose of Best Press and very careful sewing of the next round will fix that.
I next need to decide what colours to use in the next few rounds, although it might be hard to beat those in the original. Stay tuned!