I made a plus quilt recently… I decided to make it one large plus from various yellow and blue fabrics, with white and beige for the background. I liked the idea of the large plus not being immediately obvious. BUT.. when it was done, I was not at all happy with it. It really needed more definition between the Plus sections and the Background sections.
So I took out my paints, diluted them down, and painted the lighter sections.. here is a section as I was starting the paint job.. replacing the white background with a light yellow paint. (Sadly, no “before” photo of the entire quilt.)
Below, you can see the completed yellow section.. much better! Next up, I starting work on the blue sections that needed more definition. Again, the fabrics were blue patterns on white, so I was changing the background to a pale blue. To speed up the drying so I could get it done quickly, I put it in the dryer for a few minutes between sections.
And here is is, all done. I am much happier with this quilt top now, and am eager to get to the next steps. You know, deciding what fabrics/design to put on the back of the quilt, how to quilt it, etc etc etc..
The quilt size is 52 x 52″ , and these are the paints I used. Notice they can be made permanent by heat setting 5 minutes with an iron.
Leave a Reply