Category Archives: bowtie

The Family Plan

Last year I made a Kaffe Fassett bow tie quilt as a wedding gift for my son and his new bride, but first I had to show it off at Quilts at the Creek 2013! The original pattern had two rows in the outer border that had the main and background colours reversed. When I was piecing mine, I found I preferred it with just one row. Here it is, on display at Q@C:

bigRed

Well, that left me with lots of leftover blocks.. and I finally have put them together. It is 42″ x 48″, a nice size for a baby’s quilt or play mat. Just looking at this quilt makes me smile- it has two of my favourite things, the colour red, and Kaffe Fassett Fabric.

baby bowtie

baby bowtie

Done and done

I had a few quilts in the 2013 Quilts at the Creek show two weeks ago. This is an outdoor show at Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto- what a great place to display quilts. They look incredible swaying in the breeze, and come home smelling SO fresh. Here are two of my entries..

IMG_8546
This is a Kaffe Fassett snowball design, and is one of the rare quilts that I made that is pretty faithful to the pattern. I bleached some of the lighter fabrics to give me a wider range of fabrics to work with, as I did not have a huge stash of pales.. something to work on!

IMG_8547

The design for this quilt started with the blue fabric. I cut it up to make a one-block wonder quilt (see the Flickr group of these here…. ). I realized I could take a second set of matching triangles, add them to the hexagon shape, and make a star. I then needed to make a LOT of triangles from solid blue (I now have an extensive collection of these now!) and white. Several people at the show thought my science background was showing, and it does look like a molecule, now that I take another look at it. Beautifully quilted by my friend Sandy Lindal, of Scrappy Gal Quilt Company.

Works in Progress

There are quite a few works in progress hidden away in various places in my quilting space.. I have gathered some together and am posting them here- these are the ones I would like to work on, and hopefully seeing them up here will encourage me.

I have started again on the Fassett red bow tie quilt, only have the outer border to do. As I mentioned in my last post, I realize I need 96 blocks for this- almost as many as for the main body of the quilt. Quite discouraging. I’ll try to do a few every day to get that number down.


Next up: another quilt that uses a Fassett fabric, this one is just a baby-size quilt. I made the blocks with my favourite tool, Marti Michell templates ( this was the double wedding ring set). It sat unfinished for quite a while when I realized I had used the same purple batik in two of the blocks- bummer. I finally got the seam ripper out and replaced it. The points on this aren’t perfect, but that is never my most important criteria for a quilt, and I do love these colours together.

I have made a few of hexagon quilts, and love the look. But because I sew these on the machine, rather than by hand, it can be a bit tedious. Below are two sets of hexagon “scraps” that I have put together from some asian-inspired fabrics.. the red one will probably become part of a pillow cover one day. The other I envisage as a large panel down the centre of a bed quilt on a ground of a solid or fairly subdued patterned fabric.

Now we come to my more “traditional” WIPs. the first is a log cabin quilt. I always wanted to make one, and I found making the blocks pretty straightforward. But I am not loving the orderliness of it. This would make a fine baby quilt as is, but it doesn’t feel like me. So it sits…..

And last but not least, something I started a few years ago. I wanted to make a medallion quilt, and this is the centre block I was made. It doesn’t inspire me right now, so it too sits. Suggestions Welcome!

Oops. Almost forgot this one. I was playing with diamonds and loving the way various patterns jump out at you, but what to do with this?

Fassett Bowties: progress report

I started this quilt last summer, and finally spent some time piecing the blocks together. The reason for the long delay is I decided I would add the double row border that is on the original Kaffe version, in which he reverses the light and the dark in the pattern. Needless to say I did not cut these at the start, which meant I needed to dig out these fabrics again, didn’t have enough of some, so I needed to purchase more fabrics (sigh!).

Image

Doing the math, I realized the double border almost doubles the number of blocks required. Right now it is 10 x 10 = 100 blocks. Two more rounds requires 96 more blocks! I’ve got them cut out now, but will take a breather from this.

Experiments with Bleach (part 2)

My last experiments showed me that a very brightly-coloured, highly-patterned fabric was ideal for bleaching. I dug out Fassett and Fassett-like fabrics. Red seems to be most influenced by the bleach. Unbleached sample is on the right, bleached is on the right. Click on images for a closer look.

These are less successful…. I was looking for a more dramatic change that I got here.

I am much happier with these samples….

This is fabulous! A little bleach doubles my stash. I’m going to leave them out to look at until I decide how to use them.

There is a quilt by Kaffe Fassett that I just love, and hope to use the bleached-out fabrics in it.. I found a copy of the image on another blog.  It is the bowtie quilt, third down. I have a lot of other projects to work on, but wanted to get started to see how it would look- here is a photo of it on my design wall.  I love it so far, but must put it away, as it is just TOO distracting.  You know what I mean: OK, I’ll just make one more block.