It has been raining all day, and somehow that makes me think of all the things I need to get done around the house. I have been working on that “To Do” list, and have recently finished a few of them.
This is a mini quilt I made to fit into my cat’s favourite basket… hope he likes it!
This is a handwarmer muff for my granddaughter who does not like to wear gloves or mittens when she is outside.. it is decorated with horses, her latest obsession. Hope she likes it – and uses it!
And finally, here is a piece I made from a class I have been taking. The background fabric was tie dyed, stamped, and painted, the image was photo transferred. I have learned so many techniques, but mostly I have learned not to be afraid to try new things!
I recently saw a call for entries for a quilt show entitled Forced to Flee. Artists were encouraged to submit entries based on crises which force people to flee their homes for safety and survival. A few years ago I created a piece about Zaatari, a refugee camp in Jordan for Syrians escaping war in their homeland.
Zaatari refugee camp, Jordan
It was inspired by a series of aerial photographs taken over a period of 9 months, when the camp grew from zero (July 2012) to a population of about 145,000 (May 2013). It has since stabilized to 80,000 refugees, and has evolved into a semi-permanent home for these people, with a powerful solar power plant, shops, schools and more. Despite problems in the camp, Zaatari is a powerful testament to the resilience and entrepreneurship of the people living there.
When I thought about entering this piece, I felt it was incomplete, and needed a focal point. I decided to add two figures approaching the camp as refugees. Getting the size right was a problem! It felt a bit like Goldilocks and the Three Bears- I chose the middle one after trying them out on the quilt.
I am pretty happy with the result, and have submitted my application online. Fingers crossed!
Here is a detail from the quilt:
Techniques used: pieced, painted, raw edge applique
Once a year I spend some time sorting through my fabrics- donate to my local guild, toss, and “use it up” piles. I often find stacks of blocks that I had made as part of a project, but later abandoned for a variety of reasons. I rearely get through all my boxes of fabric, but I made a good dent this year.. and look what I found!
These star blocks were made with templates I had purchased from Baycreek Quilting Templates. Because the blocks did not finish square, I was kind of stumped in how to use them. Today I sewed them together, and they form a very nice circle.. I think I will applique them onto a background fabric… to be determined!
Next was this pile of blocks: I know they are from my very early quilting days, so maybe ten years old. Time to use them or lose them!
Well I don’t even remember cutting these! a huge pile of half-hexagons in a wonderful range of colours, all solids. Yummmm..
Next up was the centre block, with the fussy cut matryoshka dolls. I got busy and added several rounds to make it larger, but I think I will put it aside and think about what the next round in this medallion quilt should be.
Last but not least are these paper-pieced arcs. The first set were used to make the quilt pictured below… that quilt has been sold, so I may make another version of it sometime soon. And finally, I was just playing when I made the bottom set of arcs-I didn’t have any kind of plan for them, and I still don’t!
I have spent the first part of this morning making a list of things that I need to complete to enter into Quilts at the Creek, which is held July 28 & 29th. Some just need binding, others need quilting, so I certainly do not need to start anything new!
But when I started cleaning up my quilting area I found this box of 4″ squares and half square triangles in colours of blues, teals, and tans. I know these must be at least 7 years old, as it was in my early quilting days that I used these colours. And I have a still have a lot in this palette.
I promised myself I would just play with them for an hour- and I even set a timer.. two hours later I am putting the box away for another time, but I did make a dent in that project. One of the problems is that I did not put a sketch of what I wanted the quilt to look like, so I played with them for quite a while until I settled on simple diamonds on point. Hopefully seeing this post from time to time will remind me to finish it.
Right now I picture this as a nice picnic quilt… grass stains won’t show!