I’ve been working on some more subdued quilts lately, and craved some COLOUR! The York Heritage Quilters Guild is having its UFO challenge, and I am using all the extra blocks I had cut out for the Border Creek Station challenge run two years ago at Quilts at the Creek. Here is the quilt I made then…
Here are the blocks paired up and ready to make HSTs.. I thought I had a lot more blocks than I was able to find, so I will have to do more digging in my stash to make it the size I want! Most of the fabrics are from Kaffe Fassett- I can never get enough of his luscious colours.
and some of the blocks I have pieced together:
Needs to be done for our May meeting, so add it to the list of things to work on NOW!
I really appreciate those days when I put aside everything that I need to do, and just play. I pinned a block on Pinterest called Ellen’s Snowball last year, and a year later I still love it, so I decided to make one, in shades of blue. It is paper pieced, which I have not done for a while, and makes a 12 1/2″ block. It went together easily, and the very centre is not too bumpy, considering how many pieces meet here.
I now think I will make a medallion quilt, with this block as the centrepiece. I have accumulated quite a bit of blue / white fabrics, so I won’t need to visit any shops real time or online for more. (I think….). It may be a while before I get back to this, meanwhile it will hang on my design wall tempting me, and reminding me to research medallion quilts to see if there are any fun, interesting, new rounds that others have used in their quilts.
I made a plus quilt recently… I decided to make it one large plus from various yellow and blue fabrics, with white and beige for the background. I liked the idea of the large plus not being immediately obvious. BUT.. when it was done, I was not at all happy with it. It really needed more definition between the Plus sections and the Background sections.
So I took out my paints, diluted them down, and painted the lighter sections.. here is a section as I was starting the paint job.. replacing the white background with a light yellow paint. (Sadly, no “before” photo of the entire quilt.)
Below, you can see the completed yellow section.. much better! Next up, I starting work on the blue sections that needed more definition. Again, the fabrics were blue patterns on white, so I was changing the background to a pale blue. To speed up the drying so I could get it done quickly, I put it in the dryer for a few minutes between sections.
And here is is, all done. I am much happier with this quilt top now, and am eager to get to the next steps. You know, deciding what fabrics/design to put on the back of the quilt, how to quilt it, etc etc etc..
The quilt size is 52 x 52″ , and these are the paints I used. Notice they can be made permanent by heat setting 5 minutes with an iron.
Kathy Doughty, of Material Obsessions, will be in Toronto this summer doing 4 days of workshops, along with a trunk show/lecture. She is being hosted by Quilts at the Creek, and you can find out about this fabulous outdoor show (and enter a quilt or two!) on their blog. I have always been totally impressed with her bold mix of patterns, colours and fabric styles all in one quilt.
I may not be as brave as her, but she was the inspiration for these two quilts. The first is Soul Searching (from her book “Making Quilts with Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession)”.
The second quilt is from her Super Nova pattern in “Adding Layers: Colour Design and Inspiration”. My version is mostly blue florals and looks way better in person. Choosing the fabrics and putting it all together went very smoothly, one of the quickest quilts I have made. Just need to decide what backing to use. Hmmmm.
They will both be on display at Quilts at the Creek- see you there!
Just because I haven’t been posting does not mean I have not been busy. I have put aside my Zaatari quilt while I ponder my next steps.
Like most quilters who have been at it for a while, I have a number of unfinished projects and fabric leftover from previous projects. I have a great love for Cherrywood fabrics, and have a sizeable stash, as well as extra blocks. Here is the project I made with them, a wedding gift for my nephew and his bride.
I had made a star block with this fabric a while ago, but decided I did not want to make a full quilt of stars.. so playing with left overs, here is what I have made: Truly, I have not made any new blocks, that is how many leftover bits and pieces I had. After much research on medallion quilts on Pinterest, and digging deeper into my Cherrywood fabrics box, I found some larger half square triangles that I had judged to be too dark. When I added them on the design wall, they looked fabulous.. Whew! This is coming together all too easily!
I had thought about making a smaller sized quilt with these fabrics, as I did not want to piece a million small pieces together, but now I am in love with it, and I think it needs to be a larger quilt. Right now it is 42″ x 42″… I am going to put it aside for a while and work on other things while I let this brew in the back of my head.